Kim & Chang (2015-Present)
Gislason & Hunter, LLP (2014-2015)
Project Finance & Energy Deals
- Advised equity investment by a Korean consortium of financial investors in Merkur offshore wind farm project in North Sea, Germany.
- Advised Korean ECAs in a syndicate financing for Rovuma onshore LNG project in Mozambique.
- Advised a domestic pension fund in its acquisition of indirect equity interest in brownfield highway concessions in Portugal.
- Advised a Korean power company in its acquisition of equity interest in PMGD solar projects in Chile.
- Advised lenders in a project in Turkey involving the construction of the longest suspension bridge in the world.
- Advised lenders in financing for construction of a hydropower plant in Georgia.
- Advised a Korean construction company regarding hydropower projects in Indonesia.
- Advised lenders in financing for the Coral South FLNG project in Mozambique.
- Advised a Korean ECA in financing for a copper mine project in Panama.
- Advised a major Korean company regarding a dispute on financing structure of solar power projects in Romania.
- Represented an EPC sub-contractor in an international arbitration case regarding the construction of an HRSG plant in the Middle East.
Private Investment Funds
- Represented major Korean public pension funds, credit unions and sovereign wealth funds in their investment in foreign alternative assets (e.g., real estate, infrastructure, and private debt).
- Represented major Korean institutional investors including asset managers and life insurers in their offshore private fund investment transactions.
- Represented major Korean private equity firms and venture capitals in establishing investment vehicles/platforms in and out of Korea and negotiating fund terms with foreign investors.
- Advised a global property insurer in selling its Korean business to a local insurance group.
- Advised a global life insurer in establishing a local subsidiary and transfer of substantially all assets.
- Advised a global reinsurer regarding the liquidation of its Korea branch.
- Assisted with internal investigation of a global life insurer’s local IGA and CA channels and commission structure.
- Advised a domestic reinsurer on regulatory issues related to its US sales using fronting arrangement.
- Advised a domestic reinsurer in a potential coverage dispute regarding a fire-damaged construction project in Saudi Arabia.
- Leading Lawyer, Asialaw Leading Lawyers: Insurance (Euromoney, 2022)
- Stinson Leonard Street Law Review Award (Stinson Leonard Street, LLP & Minnesota Law Review, 2015)
- First Place Winner, Donald C. Alexander Tax Law Writing Competition (Federal Bar Association, 2014)
- Fine-Tuning Tax Whistleblower Statute: Why Qui Tam Is Not a Solution, 99 MINN. L. REV. 783 (2014)
- Editor, Minnesota Law Review (2013-2014)
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2014)
Seoul National University (LL.B., 2010)
Admitted to bar, Minnesota, 2014; Washington D.C., 2018
Korean, English and French