John KWAK Foreign Attorney
Kim & Chang (2018-Present)
Lee & Ko (2013-2018)
Yulchon LLC (2010-2013)
Ernst & Young LLP, New York (2006-2009)
PwC LLP, New Jersey (2005-2006)
KPMG LLP, New York (2001-2004)
Legal Advisor, Jin Air (2020-Present)
Outside Director, Jin Air (2017-2020)
Outside Director, CJ Darcl Logistics (2017-2018)
- Advised foreign corporate clients on tax and transfer pricing issues arising from their business operations, tax audits and tax litigations in Korea.
- Represented global private equity investors and multinational companies in tax appeal cases related to withholding tax, permanent establishment, VAT and tax treaty application.
- Advised multinational companies on developing effective global tax and transfer pricing strategies for their international business expansion and supply chain restructuring.
- Advised multinational companies on their cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and holding company structures.
- Provided tax consulting services including tax structuring, tax opinion, due diligence and tax modeling on corporate mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs, and tax-free reorganizations for private equity and strategic clients.
- Represented sovereign wealth funds, public pension funds, institutional investors and asset management companies on their cross-border investment in real estate, infrastructure and private equity.
- Represented Korean manufacturing companies and their overseas subsidiaries in controversies with foreign tax authorities including tax audits, tax litigations and APA/MAP mainly in the US, Vietnam, Indonesia and India.
- Advised global funds and financial institutions on tax compliance and information exchange obligations including FATCA and CRS.
- Advised Korean financial institutions on FATCA compliance.
- Provided cross-border tax planning services to high net worth individuals.
- Recent Ruling Clarifies Whether Foreign Limited Partnership Can Be Looked Through for Purposes of Treaty Application, International Tax Review (Co-author, Euromoney, 2016.7.)
- The Inward Investment and International Taxation Review (5th and 6th edition): Korea chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2015, 2016)
- Recent Developments on the Implementation of US FATCA in South Korea, International Tax Review (Co-author, Euromoney, 2014.7.)
- Orbitax International Tax Research and Compliance Expert: South Korea chapter (Co-author, Thomson Reuters, 2014)
- Tax Laws in Korea and the US for Korean Americans (Co-author, National Tax Service/Consulate General of Republic of Korea in New York, 2013)
- Tax Planning for International Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Restructuring: Country Report for Republic of Korea (Co-author, Kluwer Law International 2012, 2013)
- Private Client Handbook: “Private Client Law in South Korea” (Co-author, Practical Law, 2012, 2013)
- Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin (Volume 17 Number 5): “Taxation Aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions” (Co-author, IBFD, 2011.9.)
American University Washington College of Law (S.J.D. Program, 2009-2014)
New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation, 2002)
University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.M., 1998)
College of Law, Yonsei University (LL.B., 1996)
Admitted to bar, New York, 2000
Certified Public Accountant, Delaware, 2001
Korean and English