Please refer to the attachment for legal updates concerning connected cars and autonomous-driving vehicles in the Korean auto industry for the second half of 2020.
- The Act on the Promotion and Support of Commercialization of Autonomous Driving Vehicles (“Commercialization Act”) took effect on May 1, 2020
- Import and sale of vehicles equipped with Level 3 lane keeping assist system (July 1, 2020)
- The amended Guarantee of Automobile Accident Compensation Act will become effective on October 8, 2020 requiring the installation of the autonomous driving data recording device
- According to the Roadmap for Proactive Reform of Regulations regarding Autonomous-Driving Vehicles, the government is expected to undertake regulatory reforms within this year
- New regulations on autonomous driving vehicles are likely to be introduced with the amendment to the Framework Act on Intelligence Informatization
- Regulatory sandbox has increasingly been used to address regulatory hurdles for new services/technology