Kim & Chang (2011.3.-2016.5., 2017.6.-Present)
Secretary to the President for Legal Affairs, Office of the President (2016.5.-2017.5.)
Presiding Judge, Seongnam Branch, Suwon District Court (2010-2011)
Visiting Fellow (as a foreign judge), Federal Judicial Center, Washington, D.C. (2010)
Presiding Judge, Suwon District Court (2010)
Presiding Judge, Busan District Court (2009-2010)
Judge, Seoul Central District Court (2008-2009)
Judge, Supreme Court of Korea (2006-2008)
Judge, Seoul Central & Eastern District Court (2001-2006)
Judge, Chungju Branch Court of Cheongju District Court (1998-2001)
Judge, Seoul Central & Northern District Court (1994-1998)
- Represented a major Korean petrochemical company in obtaining a judgment of acquittal from the Supreme Court of Korea regarding violation of the reporting requirement under the Foreign Exchange Transactions Act.
- Represented a leading Korean ink company in its appeal, seeking the cancellation of the Korean tax authority’s confirmation of illegal tariff classification of the imported products.
- Represented the head of a leading Korean chemical company on fraud allegations, and obtained a determination of “no violation” from the Korean Fair Trade Commission.
- Represented certain member companies of a Korean conglomerate group in their administrative court proceeding against the KFTC’s administrative fine sanctions for alleged unfair assistance in connection with certain affiliate transactions. The Seoul High Court revoked the KFTC’s sanctions, agreeing to the client’s claim that the KFTC’s normal prices used to determine the provision of unfair assistance do not have a proper legal ground.
- Represented a holding company in a case involving a violation of the restrictions on holding companies’ conduct and argued against the necessity and culpability of criminal punishment, successfully exempting the company from the KFTC’s criminal referral.
- Represented Korean steel- and railroad-related companies in a case concerning a collusive act, and minimized the amount of administrative fines imposed by the KFTC by arguing about the establishment of the act and the illegality of the calculation method of relevant sales revenue.
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific: Competition/Antitrust (Euromoney, 2022-2023)
- Guarantee Agreement and Management and Disposition of Collective Property (Justice, 2011)
- Research on the Value Added Tax About Business Transfer and Closing Down Business (Commentaries on Supreme Court Decisions, 2008)
- An Examination of Whether Contract of Suretyship Can Constitute Administration or Disposition of an Unincorporated Association’s Joint Property (Jurist, 2007)
- English Legal Procedure on the Summary Offences (Korean Lawyers Association Journal, 2006)
- English Sentencing Guidelines System (The Justice Journal, 2006)
- Relationship with Litigation Structure and Trial Focusing System, Trial Reference of Supreme Court (2004)
- Status of Substitute Goods Custodian in the Crime of Embezzlement (Korean Lawyers Association Journal, 1997)
- Pointing Out the Fact of Indictment (Journal of the Korean Bar Association, 1996)
- An Article on Medical Malpractice (Master’s Thesis, 1996)
- Possession by the Deceased and Documents in the Name of the Deceased (Criminal Case Study, 1995)
Georgetown University Law Center (Visiting Researcher, 2010)
Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge (Visiting Scholar, 2004-2005)
Kyunghee University (Completed Doctoral Coursework, 2004)
Kyunghee University (LL.M., 1996)
Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea (1994)
Kyunghee University (LL.B., 1985)
Admitted to bar, Korea, 1994
Korean, English and Japanese