Una CHO Foreign Attorney (Admitted in New York)
Inaugural Chair, KCAB International Women's Interest Committee (2021-Present)
Kim & Chang (2013-Present)
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, Hong Kong/Shanghai (2007-2011)
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, Hong Kong (2006-2007)
White & Case LLP, New York (2002-2006)
Promark Entertainment Group, Los Angeles, CA (1996-1998)
- Represented a Korean conglomerate in an ICC arbitration, including Emergency Arbitrator proceedings, seated in Geneva and governed by Swiss law against an Italian counterparty in a dispute related to the joint development of new turbine technology.
- Represented an international private equity investor in an ICC arbitration seated in Seoul against a Korean company in a post-M&A dispute involving breach of representations and warranties and covenants under the share purchase agreement.
- Represented a Korean multinational company against a Brazilian distributor regarding outstanding receivables and damages claims in multi-jurisdictional proceedings in Brazil, including arbitration in Canada-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce and multiple litigations in Brazilian courts.
- Represented a French multinational company in ICDR arbitration proceedings against Korean parties seeking damages for breach of representations and warranties, including environmental claims, related to the purchase of Korean and Vietnamese companies.
- Defended a Korean multinational trading company in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore against a Chilean buyer in a dispute under a supply contract for steel products.
- Represented internationally ranked Korean badminton athletes in proceedings before the Badminton World Federation and in a CAS arbitration regarding charges of anti-doping rules violations arising from alleged whereabouts violations.
- Advised an internationally recognized sporting official in multistage proceedings against an international sporting federation regarding alleged ethical violations in which the international federation sought a ban of approximately 20 years from the sport.
- Represented a Korean joint venture contractor in a USD 1.4 billion ICC arbitration related to the construction of an oil refinery in Mexico.
- Represented a Korean corporation in an ICC arbitration related to the privatization of a Korean bank.
- Represented a Ukrainian manufacturer of railway wheels in an AAA arbitration related to a sales distribution contract.
- Advised an international oil and energy company in US securities class actions involving claims of insider trading and breach of fiduciary duty arising out of a merger transaction.
- Advised a major conglomerate and a bank in Korea in a dispute related to the confiscation of their investment in the renewable energy sector in Europe.
- Advised a major airline company and its US insurers on various liability and settlement-related issues in connection with an international aviation accident.
- Advised a Korean company in a dispute against its multinational supplier in an LCIA arbitration under English law involving payment fraud related to the purchase of petroleum products.
- Represented a Korean media conglomerate against a multinational holding company in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong regarding a shareholder dispute in relation to shares in one of Korea’s largest movie mega-plex operators.
- Defended a multinational company (supplier) in an ICC emergency arbitration proceeding brought by a distributor regarding a long term distribution agreement of products used in construction.
- Represented a Korean airline in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong and the governing law is the laws of the State of Washington, against a Chinese airline seeking termination and damages under a contract for sale and purchase of an aircraft.
- Representing a Korean company in an AIAC arbitration governed by Malaysian law and seated in Kuala Lumpur, against a Malaysian Government entity regarding payments (service fees and investment funds) owed under a Project Management Consulting Agreement and lost profits.
- Defending a Korean automobile manufacturing company in a KCAB international arbitration against a Jamaican distributor regarding alleged breach of the Distributorship Agreement for the Jamaican company’s distributorship of the Korean company’s passenger vehicles.
- Representing a group of investors in an ICC arbitration among the members of a consortium in a joint venture agreement against a public entity in Korea, for breach of contractual obligations.
- Representing a Korean IT software company in an ICC arbitration (and advising over related court proceedings) seated in Singapore and governed by Singapore law against a Chinese company.
- Representing a Russian national in a KCAB arbitration relating to a Joint and Several Guarantee Agreement under Korean Law against Korean financial companies managing a Russian ㄹfund.
- Represented a Korean company in an AIAC arbitration governed by Malaysian law and seated in Kuala Lumpur, against a Malaysian Government entity regarding payments owed under a consulting agreement.
- Represented a Korean automobile manufacturing company in a KCAB international arbitration against a Jamaican distributor on claims under a Distributorship Agreement.
- Future Leader, Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration (Who’s Who Legal, 2021-2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Arbitration (Who’s Who Legal, 2019-2023)
- Next Generation Lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: International Arbitration (Legalease, 2017-2018)
- Panel Speaker, Changes and Proposals for Better Practices in International Arbitration: Challenging Conventions and Customs in Arbitration Practice,” 10th Asia-Pacific ADR Virtual Conference (2021.11.)
- MC, “What is the Future for Women in Arbitration?,” Seoul ADR Festival 2021 (2021.11.)
- Speaker, “How International Arbitration Becomes More Diverse,” GAR Connect: Breaking In (2021.9.)
- Panel Speaker, “Master Recordings Disputes: Arbitration as a Remedy to Perennial Malady,” ASIA ADR Week (AIAC, 2021.8.)
- Moderator, “Navigating M&A disputes,” KCAB International & FRIENDS 18 (2021.8.)
- Speaker, “Expert Course of International Arbitration,” KCAB (2021.8.)
- Speaker, “Expert Course of International Arbitration,” KCAB (2021.1.)
- Moderator, “Legal & Practical Issues on Valuation Webinar,” Seoul ADR Festival (2020.11.)
- Panel Speaker, “International Aviation Litigation: A Study in Comparative Law,” IBA 2019 (International Bar Association, 2019.9.)
- Speaker, “Practical Issues in Arbitration Hearings,” KCAB International Arbitrator Training Workshop (2019.8.)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide - International Arbitration 2019: Korea Chapter - Law & Practice (Co-author, Chambers and Partners, 2018)
- GAR Guide to Post-M&A Arbitration - South Korea (Co-author, Global Arbitration Review, 2018-2021)
- Speaker, Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (VIAC) - The Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) Joint Seminar (2018.12.)
- Panelist, Inaugural Meeting of Women in Arbitration (SAF event co-hosted by Kim & Chang and Herbert Smith Freehills, 2018.11.)
- Facilitator, SIAC Academy 2018 (Singapore International Arbitration Centre, 2018.6.)
- Speaker, YSIAC Seoul Advocacy Workshop (Singapore International Arbitration Centre, 2016.10.)
- Sports Dispute Resolution: CAS Arbitration Procedure, Korean Forum on International Trade and Business Law, Vol. 24-2 (Co-author, Korea International Trade Law Association, 2015.12.)
- Speaker, “Analysis of Korean Athlete Cases at the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” Korea International Trade Law Association Summer Conference (2015.8.)
Columbia Law School (J.D., 2002)
Syracuse University, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications (M.A., 1996)
Yonsei University (B.A., Psychology, 1994)
Admitted to bar, New York, 2003
Korean and English