Kim & Chang (1994.6.-1994.8., 2001-Present)
Ministry of National Defense, Office of the Legal Advisor, Seoul, Korea (1999-2001)
Republic of Korea Air Force Headquarters, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Taejon, Korea (1998-1999)
Morrison & Foerster LLP, New York, NY (1996-1998)
International Labor Office, Office of the Legal Advisor, Geneva, Switzerland (1995)
Aerospace & Defense
- Advised a major US aerospace and defense company on responding to questions received from the Board of Audit & Inspection (BAI).
- Represented a major US radar and missiles company in litigation at the Seoul District Court initiated by the Defense Acquisition Program Administration of Korea concerning confiscation of bid bonds in KF-16 Upgrade Program. The claim brought against the client was rejected by the court.
- Represented a major US aerospace and defense company in supply of electronic counter-measure device to ROKAF.
- Represented a major US defense company in formulating response strategies in connection with industry-wide government investigations and monitoring of third party intermediaries.
- Represented a major US aerospace and defense company in dispute concerning sale and operation of satellite.
- Represented a major US aerospace and defense company in the sale of C-130 aircraft to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration of Korea.
- Represented a major European aerospace company in an investigation by the Seoul Prosecutors’ Office regarding misappropriation of military classified information.
Corporate Investigations/White Collar Defense
- Defended a major German automobile manufacturing group in criminal proceedings involving the Seoul Prosecutors’ Office and other authorities as well as criminal litigation before the Seoul District Court in relation to diesel engine compliance matters.
- Represented a Korean affiliate of a global medical device company in investigations conducted by the Seoul Metropolitan Police concerning improper benefits provided to customers.
- Represented a major US airline in investigations concerning Unfair Trade Practices by the Korea Fair Trade Commission.
- Conducted Anti-Graft Act compliance training at a Korea affiliate of a US IT company.
- Provide guidance on responding to FCPA due diligence questionnaire to a major Korean conglomerate in the food and beverage industry.
- Represented a global marine fuel supplier in criminal investigations conducted by the Seoul Prosecutors’ Office concerning issuance of VAT returns.
- Represented a global life insurance company in an investigation conducted by the Joint Investigation Team on Privacy relating to alleged violations of the Personal Information Protection Act.
- Conducted internal investigation of a national salesforce of global pharmaceutical company based on whistleblowing report relating to sales practices concerning meals, gifts, travel and entertainment.
- Conducted internal investigation and subsequent representation of a global IT company before Seoul Prosecutors’ Office relating to FCPA and Korean anti-bribery compliance.
- Conducted internal investigation relating to FCPA and Korean anti-bribery compliance of a medical devices company.
- Conducted internal investigation and analysis of potential FCPA and Korean anti-bribery compliance review for a Korean affiliate of a global automobile manufacturing company.
- Conducted internal investigation and criminal defense actions relating to misappropriation of proprietary information of a semiconductor supplier company.
- Represented a major nuclear power equipment supplier in criminal defense actions relating to FCPA and anti-bribery issues.
- Represented a major US airline in cartel investigations of the Korea Fair Trade Commission.
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised on applicable laws and regulations governing real estate development and operation of retail industry in connection with store openings for US-based global retail company.
- Buy-out by Corning, Inc. of remaining shares of Samsung Corning Precision Glass held by Samsung Electronics and affiliated entities.
- Recognized Practitioner, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Crime (Chambers and Partners, 2019-2020)
- World’s Leading Lawyer, Expert Guides: White Collar Crime 2016 (Euromoney, 2015)
- Certificate of Merit, Republic of Korea Air Force Chief of Staff (2000.7.)
- Practical Law - Financial and Business Crime Global Guide 2015/16: Korea chapter (Co-author, Thomson Reuters, 2015)
- GIR - The Asia-Pacific Investigations Review 2016: Korea chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2015)
- PLC Corporate Crime, Fraud & Investigations Guide 2013/14: Korea chapter (Co-author, Practical Law Company, 2013)
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review: Korea chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2008)
- The Going Public Sourcebook, an introduction to the IPO process published in cooperation with Bowne Co. (1998)
Cornell Law School, Cornell University (J.D., 1996)
Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University (M.A.L.D., 1995)
University of California, Berkeley (A.B., Double Major with Honors 1992)
Admitted to bar, New York, 1996
English, Korean and French