Legal Advice on Privacy-Related Laws and Support During On-Site Audits
Our group of privacy and data security lawyers and advisors excel at experience-based legal advice, capable of providing not only advice on Korean law issues but also practical supports during on-site audits by the Korean privacy regulatory authorities. We provide best practices for companies to develop data management system, and assist clients maintain compliance in established regulatory framework.
Risk Assessment on Security Systems and Data Processing Practices
We have developed a unique risk assessment program comprised of a customized checklist and analytics to accurately capture the snapshot of a company’s personal information processing flow. Based on such assessment, we can evaluate the company’s current IT security measures and assess for legal and technological weaknesses.
Countermeasures Against Personal Information Leakage and/or Hacking
Based on our strong team of lawyers and advisors and our unique insight, we have successfully represented companies in all of the recent “top five” hacking incidents in Korea, and continue to handle many of the major administrative, civil and criminal litigations relating to privacy violations, personal information leakage, hacking, phishing and other data breach incidents.
Data privacy is an issue for virtually every company, as all organizations engage in some form and degree of processing of personal information. We have represented and advised most of the major Korean companies and global businesses operating in Korea, including companies and institutions that process personal information on a large scale, such as those in the telecommunications, luxury, distribution, pharmaceutical, automobile manufacturing, web service and finance (insurance, banking, etc.) sectors. The wealth of experience we have drawn from such representations has helped establish us as a market leader in Korea.
Advising on Privacy and Data Security Law and Support During On-Site Investigations
- Advised more than 500 Korean and multinational companies on data privacy issues.
- Conducted an internal review of personal information processing by a major Korean automobile company.
- Conducted a compliance review of personal information processing by a foreign automobile manufacturer.
- Conducted a review of personal information processing by a major Korean entertainment company.
- Conducted a comprehensive compliance review on information protection in an insurance company.
- Conducted a review of a global cosmetics import company in preparations for regulatory investigations.
- Advised major Korean telecommunication service providers on business model relating to personal information protection.
Advising Regarding Personal Information Leakage/Data Breach and Dispute Resolution
- Assisted and represented a major distribution company in investigations and criminal action with respect to the company’s provision of personal information.
- Assisted three card companies in investigations, and regulatory, civil, and criminal actions on personal information leakage.
- Assisted and represented a foreign medical information company in investigations and criminal and civil action with respect to the company’s leak of personal information.
- Assisted large telecommunications and online gaming companies in addressing legal requirements triggered by a hacking incident and represented the company in the subsequent criminal and administrative cases.
- Privacy Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions +
- Corporate Investigations & White Collar Defense
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications Litigation
- Anti-Corruption & Corporate Compliance
- Trade Secret & Corporate Information Protection
- Labor & Employment
- Fintech & IT Compliance
- Intellectual Property +
- Corporate & M&A Litigation
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
PIPC Issues Draft Guide to Amended PIPA2023.10.06
Kim & Chang Legal Newsletter (2023 Issue 3)2023.09.27
State Council Adopts Amendment to PIPA Enforcement Decree2023.09.20
131 Professionals Selected as “National Leaders” – WWL: Korea 20232023.06.30
Proposed Amendment to the Enforcement Decree of the PIPA2023.05.22
Chambers Global Practice Guides – Cyber Security 2023: Korea Chapter2023.03.16