Kim & Chang (2002-Present)
Baker & McKenzie, Washington, D.C. (2000-2002)
- Advised in the automobile, automobile parts, cosmetic, IT, chemical, food and beverage, medical device and pharmaceutical industries prepare for customs field audits and provided on-site assistance.
- Handled administrative and court appeals in connection with customs duty assessments by Korean Customs as a result of the customs field audits.
- Counseled on optimal customs valuation of goods imported by multinational importers in Korea.
- Involved in multinational clients from various challenges by Korean Customs regarding the acceptability of the declared import value through customs appeals.
- Advised in the development of strategic customs classification of IT, chemical, food and medical device products.
- Obtained binding customs classification rulings from Korean Customs allowing clients to maximize duty-saving opportunities.
Free Trade Agreements
- Assisted multinational importers with claiming preferential tariff treatment under various free trade agreements to which Korea is a member.
- Handled against customs duty assessment cases (administrative and court appeals).
Country of Origin Marking
- Counseled hand tools, luxury, sports goods, medical device and cosmetics companies on requirements of Korean country of origin marking rules.
- Obtained administrative rulings on the applicability of various country of origin marking exceptions/exemptions.
Customs Border Protection/Parallel Imports
- Assisted multinational holders of trademarks with customs border protection measures seeking to prevent importation of infringing goods.
- Advised clients on potential measures against parallel imports.
- Advised clients on implications of Korean export control and trade sanctions laws and regulations.
- Conducted compliance review of export control related matters of automobile parts, IT and machinery industries.
Antidumping/Trade Remedy Cases
- Involved in foreign producers in antidumping investigations before the Korea Trade Commission.
- Counseled a Korean automobile producer on the implications of potential safeguard case under the Korea-EU Free Trade Agreement.
M&A and Corporate
- Assisted a major corporation in the global acquisition of shares and assets of a multinational company.
- Advised multinational companies in the purchase or sale of domestic companies.
- Advised multinational companies in connection with allegations of improper business conducts.
- Provided multinational companies with expert assistance against challenges from the Korean customs authorities on customs and trade-related matters at administrative and court appeals.
- Client Choice Awards - Trade & Customs (Lexology, 2021)
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Trade & Customs (Who’s Who Legal, 2019-2023)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Global, International Trade (Chambers and Partners, 2018-2023)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Asia-Pacific, International Trade (Chambers and Partners, 2018-2023)
- Getting the Deal Through - Trade & Customs: Korea chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2016)
Franklin Pierce Law Center (J.D. and M.I.P., 1997)
Dickinson College (B.A., 1994)
International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan (1992-1993)
Admitted to bar, New York, 2000; Washington, D.C., 2001 and US Court of International Trade, 2002
English, Korean and Japanese