Commentary Panel, KMST Precedents Committee, Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal (2019-2021)
Arbitrator, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (2013-Present)
Addleshaw Goddard, London Office (2011-2012)
Holman Fenwick Willan, London Office (2011)
Kim & Chang (2006-Present)
Judge, Seoul Southern District Court (2004-2006)
Judge, Seoul Central District Court (2002-2004)
Judge Advocate, Republic of Korea Air Force (1999-2002)
- Represented a Korean client in an ICC arbitration with the amount of USD 3 billion regarding the acquisition of a life insurance company. This remains one of the largest ever international arbitrations involving a Korean party.
- Represented a Korean shipbuilder in a LMAA arbitration against a Norwegian shipowner for the cancellation of a shipbuilding contract with the amount of USD 600 million.
- Represented an international tobacco company before Korean court for healthcare cost recovery action.
- Represented the Korean government in an ICSID arbitration involving taxation.
- Represented a Norwegian P&I club in an oil spill case which was the biggest oil pollution case that occurred in Korean waters.
- Represented a Korean reinsurer in a KCAB arbitration against a Ukrainian reinsurer involving a refund guarantee issue.
- Represented a US equity fund in an ICC arbitration against a Korean government corporation involving the return of the dividend in relation to the NPL asset disposal.
- Represented a Korean client in several disputes before foreign courts including Thailand, Kazakhstan, Canadian, US, Indian, and German courts.
- Represented various shipowners in rehabilitation proceedings which Korean shipping companies and/or Korean shipbuilders have commenced.
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Arbitration (Who’s Who Legal, 2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Product Liability Defence (Who’s Who Legal, 2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Transport - Shipping (Who’s Who Legal, 2023)
- South Korea Lawyer of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards (Euromoney, 2023)
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific: International Arbitration, Shipping (Euromoney, 2023)
- Stand-out Lawyer - Independently Rated Lawyers (Thomson Reuters, 2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Product Liability Defence (Who’s Who Legal, 2022-2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Asialaw Leading Lawyers: Shipping (Euromoney, 2020-2023)
- Leading Individual, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Shipping (Legalease, 2019-2023)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Shipping (Chambers and Partners, 2018-2023)
- The Investment Treaty Arbitration Review (Edition 8): Legal Defences to Claims (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2023)
- Global Arbitration Review - The Guide to M&A Arbitration: Korea Chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2020-2021)
- A Guide to International Arbitration for Korean Companies (in Korean), Revised Edition (Co-author, Ministry of Justice of Republic of Korea, 2014.12.)
- A Guide to International Arbitration for Korean Companies (in Korean) (Co-author, Ministry of Justice of Republic of Korea, 2013.8.)
- Review of English Case Laws on SAJ Shipbuilding Contract Form, The Journal of Korea Maritime Law Association Vol. 35, No. 1 (Korea Maritime Law Association, 2013.4.)
- Arbitration in Korea, International Commercial Arbitration in Asia 3rd Edition (Co-Author, Juris Publishing, 2013)
- Inherent Vice of Nature of the Subject Matter Insured under Marine Cargo Insurance, Business Finance Law, No. 56 (Center for Financial Law, Seoul National University, 2012.11.)
- Lis Pendens Rule under EU Regulation and Its Implication upon Korean Law, The Journal of Korea Maritime Law Association, Volume 34, No. 2 (Korea Maritime Law Association, 2012.11.)
- The Treatment of Fraudulent Insurance Claim under English Law, Korean Insurance Law Journal Vol. 6, No. 1 (Korean Insurance Law Association, 2012.6.)
- A Study on Account Receivable Finance and Avoidance in Bankruptcy Code (Edition of Master Thesis of Graduate School of Law, Seoul National University, 2006.2.)
- Key practice of Maritime Lawyer, Presentation at the conference hosted by Korea University Maritime Law Center (2013.3.)
- Shipbuilding Contracts and the Governing Law/Arbitration, Presentation at the conference co-hosted by KCAB, Korea University Maritime Law Center (2012.9.)
University College London (LL.M., 2011)
Graduate School of Law, Seoul National University (LL.M., 2006)
Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea (1999)
Seoul National University (LL.B., 1997)
Admitted to bar, Korea, 1999
Solicitor, Admitted to practice in England & Wales, 2012
Korean, English and Japanese