Kim & Chang (2000-Present)
Research Editor, Temple Environmental Law and Technology Journal (1999-2000)
Hinman, Howard & Kattell, Binghamton, New York (1999)
- Assisted a Danish bank, as a security agent, and lender groups in respect of four credit facilities to receive payment from a Korean line company, a Korean shipping company that had become subject to rehabilitation proceedings in Korea under the Debtor Rehabilitation and Bankruptcy Act.
- Advised a US outdoor apparel company, in connection with the successful termination of its distribution agreement with a Korean company, during its rehabilitation proceedings, and the successful transfer of its sales network in Korea to a third party.
- Co-led a team advising a foreign automaker regarding both voluntary and involuntary rehabilitation and bankruptcy proceedings in connection with the restructuring of its Korean subsidiary.
- Advised a government pension fund on US Chapter 11 considerations in connection with distressed asset investments in the US.
- Assisted a security agent and lender groups in respect of four credit facilities to receive payment from a Korean shipping company that had become subject to rehabilitation proceedings in Korea under the Debtor Rehabilitation and Bankruptcy Act.
- Advised a US-based non-life company on all aspects of the transfer of the entire business of its Korean branch to a newly established company, including establishment and licensing of the new non-life company, transfer of the insurance policies and other assets of the branch, transfer of employees, and liquidation of the Korean branch.
- Advised a European-based life insurer on the transfer of 100% of the shares of its Korean life company to a newco by means of a demerger.
- Advised a European-based insurer on post-acquisition business restructuring and streamlining between its existing Korean insurance subsidiary and a newly acquired insurance company, including issues related to employee transfer and post-acquisition workforce reduction.
- Assisted with the defense of an international assistance company and its CEO against criminal charges for allegedly engaging in the insurance business without a license in violation of the Insurance Business Law.
- Advised a global financial information and education company with the transfer of its business to a newly incorporated company.
- Advised numerous insurance companies in connection with audits by the Korean regulatory authorities.
- Assisted with the establishment of a joint venture between a leading European investment management firm and a Korean asset management company.
- Assisted a US-based investment management firm with the establishment and licensing of a discretionary investment management company in Korea.
- Assisted the UK affiliate of a US-based investment management firm with registering in Korea to engage in the discretionary investment management business on a cross-border basis.
- Asian-MENA Counsel - External Counsel of the Year (Pacific Business Press, 2012)
- Barrister's Award for Outstanding Achievement in Trial Advocacy, Temple University, James E. Beasley School of Law (2000)
- Practical Law – Insurance and Reinsurance in South Korea: Overview (Co-author, Thomson Reuters, 2021, 2023)
- Regulatory Intelligence – South Korea: Insurance (Co-author, Thomson Reuters, 2021)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide – Insurance & Reinsurance: Korea chapter - Law & Practice (Co-author, Chambers and Partners, 2019)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide – Insolvency: Korea chapter - Law & Practice (Co-author, Chambers and Partners, 2019)
- The Executive Remuneration Review (3rd edition): "Korea" chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2014)
- Panelist, "The Fast Changing Global Business Environment – Implementing Tough Human Resource Decisions and Making People Stay," International Bar Association Annual Conference, Boston, MA, USA (2013.10.)
- "Sale of Substantially All Assets Prior to Confirmation of Plan under Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code-Basic Legal Principle and Recent Cases," Korean Journal of Insolvency Law (Co-author, 2010.7.)
- "Overhauling Korea's Insolvency Laws; Individual debtors first, corporate debtors next," Global Insolvency & Restructuring Year Book 2004/05 (Co-author)
- "Evolution of Restructuring in 'Post-IMF Era' Korea," Global Insolvency & Restructuring Yearbook 2003/04 (Co-author)
- "Debt Restructuring: Trade Finance Falls from Favour," Recognition and Enforcement of Cross-Border Insolvency 2003 (Korea Section), International Financial Law Review (2002.11.)
- "The Latest Revisions To Korea's Computer Programs Protection Act: Has Anything Really Improved for Korea's Software Developers?", Temple Environmental Law & Technology Journal (Fall 1999)
James E. Beasley School of Law, Temple University (J.D., 2000)
Rochester Institute of Technology (B.S., International Business, 1993)
Admitted to bar, Connecticut, 2000; New York, 2001
English, Korean and Spanish (written only)
Amendment of the Standards on Outsourcing of Loss Adjustment Work for Fair and Reasonable Insurance Proceeds Calculation and Payment2023.03.29
Practical Law – Insurance and Reinsurance in South Korea: Overview (2023)2023.03.08
Financial Supervisory Service Strengthens Regulations on Disclosures Regarding Insurance Sales and Insurance Proceeds Payment2023.02.14
Financial Regulators Announce Plan to Improve Insurance Regulations and the Financial Supervisory Service Plans to Improve its Supervision and Audit System2023.01.06
Financial Supervisory Authorities’ Announcement of Internal Control System Improvement Measures2022.12.05
The Financial Supervisory Service Plans to Improve Regulation and Audit System2022.11.17