Hyeong Jun HWANG Attorney
Kim & Chang (2017-Present)
Holland & Knight LLP, Washington, D.C. (2013.9.-2014.1.)
Yulchon LLC (2008-2017)
- Represented a Korean company in the biggest oil spill case in Korea.
- Represented the Korean government in collective compensatory damages action filed by victims of air pollution.
- Represented a Korean company in civil and criminal cases regarding soil pollution.
- Advised on infringement of environmental rights due to a skyscraper.
- Advised on the K-REACH for various multinational and Korean companies.
- Advised a multinational pharmaceutical company on chemical compliance.
- Advised vehicle manufacturers on chemical compliance.
Climate Change and Energy
- Represented a Korean company in an arbitration proceedings regarding CDM (Clean Development Mechanism).
- Advised on the Korean Emissions Trading Scheme for various Korean companies.
- Represented a Korean power company in arbitration proceedings regarding combined heat and power plant.
- Advised a combined heat and power plant on issues regarding Power Purchase Agreement.
- Represented a major oil-refining company in litigation seeking the cancellation of clawback of petroleum import tax refunds.
- Represented a major US computer chipmaker in the abuse of market dominance case in Korea.
- Represented major European cargo airline companies in the air cargo surcharge cartel case in Korea.
- Represented a major Korean shipping company in the European Commission’s cartel investigation of shipping operator companies.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in a business swap transaction with another major pharmaceutical company for the KFTC’s merger approval.
- Represented Korean construction companies in several bid-rigging cases in Korea.
- Represented a major German bearings manufacturer in the international cartels case in Korea.
- Leading Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal: Korea, Environment (Who’s Who Legal, 2019)
- Ideas and Principles of Sustainable Energy Law (Seoul National University, Ph.D. Thesis, 2018)
- Energy Law and Policy in the Age of Climate Change: Major Issues on the Renewables Portfolio Standard (Co-author, Seoul National University Center for Energy & Environmental Law and Policy, 2013)
- The Intel Case in Korea and EU Jurisprudence (Co-author, European Competition Law Review, 2012)
- Cooperation among Republic of Korea and Countries in Middle East and North Africa in a Renewable Energy Industry (Co-author, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, 2012)
- Emissions Trading Scheme in EU and UK, Climate Change and Rule of Law (Seoul National University Law Research Institute, 2010)
- Climate Change Bill of UK and ‘Stern Report’, Economic Efficiency and Rule of Law (Co-author, Seoul National University Law Research Institute, 2009)
- Green Growth and Response of Environmental Laws, Korean Journal of Legislation Research (Co-author, Korea Legislation Research Institute, 2009)
- Chapter on Korea, The International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment Law 2009 (Co-author, Global Legal Group, 2009)
- Speaker, “South Korea’s Way of Fighting Climate Change with Green Energy,” Asia Clean Energy Forum (2017.6.)
- Special lecturer, “Energy Investment and Investment Treaties in Africa,” African Experts Course (Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, 2011.11.)
- Special lecturer, “Legal Issues for Entry to the African Market,” Entry to the African Market Course (KOTRA, 2011.11.)
- Special lecturer, “Bioenergy Legal System and Legal Cases,” Bioenergy Business Strategy Course (Maeil Business Newspaper, 2010.5.)
- Special lecturer, “Legal System of Renewable Energy in Korea,” Renewable Energy Leader Course (Hanyang University, 2010.4.)
- Special lecturer, “Green Growth and Legal Issues,” Chonnam National University - Climate Change Post-Graduate School (2009.11.)
Seoul National University (Ph.D., Law, 2018)
Harvard Law School (LL.M., 2013)
Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea (2008)
Seoul National University (M.A., 2004)
Seoul National University (LL.B., 1999)
Admitted to bar, Korea, 2008
Korean and English