Member, Advisory Committee on Management Evaluation, KAMCO Ship Investment Management (2016-Present)
Member, Advisory Committee, The Credit Finance Association of Korea (2013-2016)
Member, Information Disclosure Review Committee, Office for Government Policy Coordination (2003-2005)
Kim & Chang (1992-Present)
Judge Advocate, Republic of Korea Army (1989-1992)
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Advised foreign investors in their DIP financing for a Korean shipping company in the rehabilitation proceedings.
- Advised a company belonging to a main debtor group which may be subject to debt restructuring program supervised by the Financial Supervisory Service (FSS).
- Advised a Korean bank as creditor of a foreign offshore drilling company in the course of debtor restructuring process and the US Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advised a Korean bank in the process of recovery of the loan by the termination of the charter agreement with Brazilian company in insolvency proceedings.
- Advised the buyer, a foreign company, in the cross-border acquisition of a distressed company under a rehabilitation proceeding.
- Represented and advised ship owners regarding self-rescue plan of a Korean shipping company.
- Assisted consigners, ship owners, and interested parties in filing claims based on damages, and filing applications for confirmatory actions against a Korean shipbuilder in rehabilitation proceedings.
- Represented and advised consigners, ship owners, and interested parties in the rehabilitation proceeding and subsequent bankruptcy proceeding of a Korean shipping company.
- Represented a manufacturing company in workout proceedings.
- Assisted a foreign shipping company in restructuring debts to credit companies.
- Assisted a Korean company in US chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented finance creditors in rehabilitation proceedings against a Korean company.
- Advised Korean banks in acquisition financing targeting a US cosmetic company.
- Advised on financing for a private equity fund in the acquisition of manufacturing company.
- Represented a cable company in acquisition financing for US listed company.
- Advised on financing for a foreign investment bank in the acquisition of non-memory semiconductor business.
- Advised on refinancing by foreign private equity fund of the acquisition financing used for acquiring a brewery company.
- Represented banks for acquisition financing extended to global company in acquisition of Korean companies.
- Assisted an arranger bank in financing for development of a mine in Korea.
- Advised on financing for power plant project in Indonesia.
- Assisted Korean export credit agencies in infrastructure project in Turkey.
- Represented financing banks in oil refinery project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised on gas and petrochemical project in Uzbekistan.
- Assisted Korean banks in SOC projects in Korea.
- Assisted financial institutions in French tax lease transaction.
- Advised on the merger among container shipping companies.
- Represented shipping companies and cargo owners in refinancing of LNG carriers.
- Advised on ship investment structure financing transactions.
- Assisted financial institutions in UK tax lease transactions.
- Advised on financing through private equity fund.
- Represented financing banks in BBCHP and BBC financing transactions.
Non-bank Financial Companies
- Advised a foreign leasing company in the course of FSS audit.
- Advised leasing companies involving taxes on leased vehicles.
- Represented installment finance companies involving mortgage registration tax.
- Advised foreign credit card companies on regulatory issues.
- Assisted installment finance and leasing companies for asset securitization financing transactions.
- Advised on mergers and acquisitions involving capital companies.
- Leading Individual, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Banking and Finance (Legalease, 2019)
- Highly Regarded, IFLR1000 (Euromoney, 2018-2019)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Asia-Pacific: Shipping: Finance (Chambers and Partners, 2017-2019)
- Leading Lawyer, Asialaw Profiles (Euromoney, 2016-2017)
- Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000 (Euromoney, 2011-2017)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Global: Banking & Finance (Chambers and Partners, 2010-2017)
- Leading Individual, Chambers Asia-Pacific: Banking & Finance (Chambers and Partners, 2010-2019)
- Shipping Finance Review 2012/13: Korea section (Co-author, Euromoney Yearbooks, 2012)
- Shipping Finance Review 2011/12: Korea section (Co-author, Euromoney Yearbooks, 2011)
- Review on Financial Consumer Protection Methods, The Credit Finance (The Credit Finance Association, 2010)
- Legal and Practical Issues in Transactions involving Assignment or Entrustment of Credit Card Receivables, Journal of Credit Card Academic Society (Korean Creditcard Academic Society, 2007)
University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.M., 1997)
Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea (1989)
Graduate School of Law, Seoul National University (LL.M., 1987)
College of Law, Seoul National University (LL.B., 1985)
Admitted to bar, Korea, 1989; New York, 1997