Davis Polk & Wardwell, New York (2003-2004)
Kim & Chang (1996-Present)
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a Korean game company in its acquisition of a game company in Iceland.
- Represented a German company in its acquisition of shares in a Korean home appliance company as well as in the establishment of a joint venture company.
- Represented a Korean company in its acquisition of a cryptocurrency exchange.
- Represented a Korean company in its sale of petroleum products distribution business.
- Represented a Korean game company in its acquisition of a US game company.
- Represented a Hong Kong fund in its acquisition of equity interest in a Korean entertainment company.
- Represented a Korean company its sale of an express bus company.
- Represented a large Korean game company in its acquisition of shares in another large Korean game company.
- Represented a Korean game company in the investment from a global Chinese game company.
- Represented a Korean private equity fund in its acquisition of packaging performance unit from a large Korean company.
- Represented a Finnish IT company in its sale of Korean subsidiaries to a US IT company.
- Represented a Chinese entertainment company in the investment into a Korean animation company.
- Represented a Korean game company in its establishment of joint venture with a Chinese game company.
- Represented a US semiconductor equipment company in its acquisition of stake in a Korean company.
- Represented a Korean listed company in its investment in a mine in Brazil.
- Represented a global private equity fund in its investment into various Korean start-up companies.
- Represented a German auto company in its sale of its business related to a US auto company.
- Represented a major IT company in its acquisition of stake in a Korean drama production company.
- Represented a Korean company in its sale of convenience store business.
- Represented a Belgian brewing company in its sale of a Korean subsidiary to a global private equity fund.
- Represented a Korean steel company in its acquisition of another Korean steel company under court receivership.
- Represented multiple overseas game companies in their application for designation as the Independent Rating Classification Business by the Game Rating and Administration Committee.
- Represented a game company in relation to the Korea Fair Trade Commission’s investigation on potential violation of the Act on Consumer Protection in Electronic Commerce and related lawsuits in connection with random boxes and items.
- Advised a global game company on all aspects of building and establishing e-sports stadiums.
- Represented game companies in responding to and taking legal actions against developers and distributors of illegal hacking tools and programs.
- Assisted one of the largest Chinese mobile game publishers in a preliminary injunction filing as well as an arbitration against a local game licensor due to the local game licensor’s unreasonable refusal to launch the game.
- Successfully defended a Korean game company from criminal allegations and administrative dispositions related to an unrated social network game that is not available in Korea.
- Advised a Korean game company on copyright infringement issues with respect to its well-known online game based on TV animation.
- Represented a listed Korean game company in its dispute with a Korean game developer regarding the termination of their publishing agreement.
- Represented one of the largest Korean game publishers in a lawsuit to seek cancellation of a warning issued by an administrative agency for alleged violation of the regulations that limit the daily use of game money and the monthly purchase of game money on web board games.
- Advised one of the largest Korean game companies and its foreign subsidiary in connection with an audit by the customs office with respect to customs issues between them.
- Advised on a transfer pricing study related to royalty payments to be remitted to a US parent game company by a Korean subsidiary.
- Successfully defended one of the largest Korea game companies from criminal allegations and administrative dispositions in relation to the theft of personal information by a hacking attack.
- Advised one of the largest Korean game companies in connection with its violation of the Game Industry Promotion Act arising from game money transactions.
- Advised a US gaming company in connection with the development of an integrated casino resort in Incheon, Korea.
- Advised a Hong Kong company on the development and operation of integrated resort in Jeju Island, Korea.
- Advised a global resort company in its development of a resort in Korea.
- Advised various casino companies in Korea in relation to their operations.
- Represented a Korean entertainment company in its various transaction for investment.
- Represented a foreign music streaming company in its operation.
- Represented a US company in its investment for production of a Korean drama.
- Advised on the various dispute between entertainment companies and their signers/actors, etc.
- Conducted reviews on various contracts executed during artists’ careers, such as exclusive agreements, advertising contracts and agreements on portrait rights.
- Advised on copyright transfer agreements of various media contents, such as broadcasting contents.
- Stand-out Lawyer - Independently Rated Lawyers (Thomson Reuters, 2024)
- Chambers Global Practice Guides - Gaming Law: South Korea - Law & Practice (Co-author, Chambers and Partners, 2021-2023)
- The Media and Entertainment Law Review (Edition 1, 2, 3, 4): Korea Chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2019-2022)
- International Comparative Legal Guide to - Gambling: Korea Chapter (Co-author, Global Legal Group, 2015-2016)
- European Lawyer Reference - Gaming Law (Edition 2): South Korea Chapter (Co-author, Thomson Reuters, 2014)
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review: Korea chapter (Co-author, Law Business Research, 2008)
New York University School of Law (LL.M., 2003)
Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea (1996)
College of Law, Seoul National University (LL.B., 1992)
Admitted to bar, Korea, 1996
Korean and English