Kim & Chang’s Project Finance Practice covers the full range of industries, such as regional development (including development of cities, industrial complexes, resorts, business and residential facilities, and real estate), transportation (including airports, ports, railroads, toll roads, bridges, tunnels, and canals), power, natural resources, plants, water supply and waste water treatment, logistics, telecommunications and other types of infrastructure, both in Korea and overseas markets. Our extensive experience in representing domestic and international project sponsors, lenders, construction contractors, equipment suppliers, infrastructure funds, and governmental entities enable us to efficiently handle the most complex and innovative transactions of today.
Our practice assists our clients with every aspect of project finance transactions, including, without limitation:
- Structuring of projects;
- Establishment, management, and liquidation of project companies and other related entities;
- Establishment, management, and operation of infrastructure funds and other types of funds;
- Documentation and negotiation of project agreements, including concession agreements, joint venture agreements, shareholders agreements, EPC contracts, equipment purchase agreements, lease, supply and sales agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, and asset and fund management agreements;
- Preparation, review, and implementation of innovative financing structures;
- Documentation and negotiation of financing agreements, including credit facility agreements and various security documents;
- Structuring, negotiating, and advising mergers and acquisitions of project companies and other related entities;
- Relationships with governmental authorities;
- Governmental permits and licenses;
- Tax analysis; and
- Dispute resolution and arbitration.
The major clients of our practice include domestic and international banks, insurance companies, pension funds, asset management companies, construction companies, power and other energy companies, state-owned power companies, trading companies, and governmental agencies.
Toll Road Projects
- Seobu Expressway
- Highway across the western interior of Korea, connecting three cities (Pyeongtaek, Buyeo and Iksan)
- Seoul-Munsan Expressway Project
- Sangju-Yeongcheon Expressway Project
- Suwon-Gwangmyeong Expressway Project
- Incheon International Airport Highway Project
- Seoul Beltway Project
- Cheonan-Nonsan Expressway Project
- Daegu-Busan Expressway Project
- Seoul-Chuncheon Expressway Project
- Geoga Bridge Project
- Machang Bridge Project
- Second-Incheon Bridge Project
- Second Yeongdong Expressway Project
- Yongin-Seoul Highway Project
- Changwon-Busan Road Project
- Sinrim line LRT Project
- Daegok–Sosa Line Project
- Incheon International Airport Railroad Project
- Yongin LRT Project
- Kimhae LRT Project
- Shin Bundang Line Railroad Project
- Seoul 9th Line Subway Project
- Gyungjun Railway Project
- Ui-Sinseol LRT Project
- Incheon New Port Project
- Busan New Port (phases 1-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 2-4) Projects
- Mokpo New Port Project
- Masan Port Project
- Pyeongtaek Port Project
- Ulsan Port (Phase 1) Project
- Pohang New Port Project
Power Plant Projects
- Gangneung Anin Coal-fired Power Plant Project
- Goseong Green Power Plant Project
- Poseung Biomass Power Plant Project
- Taebaek Wind Power Project
- Cogeneration Project in Wirye
- Cogeneration Project in Chuncheon
- Jeonju BIomass Power Plant Project
- Dongducheon Combined Cycle Power Project
- Ansan Combined Cycle Power Project
- Pyungtaek-Osung Combined Cycle Power Project
- Pocheon Power Combined Cycle Power Project
- LNG Combined Cycle Power Project in Incheon and Tail Gas Power Plant in Gwangyang for POSCO Power
- Construction of Blast Furnace Tail Gas Power Plant for Hyundai Green Power’s steel plant in Dangjin
- Busan Junggwan Cogeneration Project
- K-Power Gwangyang Combined Cycle Power Project
- Project finance for Units 1 and 2 of Power Plant of GS Energy (n/k/a GS EPS) in Dangjin-Bugok
- Cogeneration Project in Okjeong, Yangju and Minrak, Uijeongbu
- Cogeneration Project in Misa, Hanam
- Cogeneration Project in Gimcheon Industrial Complex
- Cogeneration Project in Iksan Industrial Complex
- Cogeneration Project in Byeolnae
- Cogeneration Project in Yosu Industrial Complex
- Solar Power Project in Jindo
- Solar Power Project in Gochang
- Solar Power Project in Hampyung
- Wind Power Project in Taebak-Changjuk
- Wind Power Project in Taegisan
- Wind Power Project in Gangneung, Hoengseong, and Yeongyang
- RDF Power Project in Cheonan
- RDF Power Project in Busan
M&A of the Project Company
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Incheon International Airport Highway Project.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Incheon International Airport Railroad Project.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Cheonan-Nonsan Expressway Project.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Gwangju Second Ring Road Project.
- Advised on the sale of shares in the project company for Daegu East Ring Road Project.
- Advised on the sale of shares in the project company for Daegu-Busan Expressway Project.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Seoul Beltway Project.
- Advised on the sale of shares in the project company for the Misiryeong Tunnel Project.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in the project company for Third Seoul-Incheon Expressway.
- Advised on the acquisition of solar power plants in Gosung, etc.
- Advised on the acquisition of shares in Gangwon Wind Power.
- Advised on the acquisition of Youngduk Wind Power.
Development & Overseas Projects
- Solar Power Project in Chile
- Solar Power Project in Australia
- Solar Power Project in Japan (Shinchitose, Shiraoi, Yaita, Misaki, Kushiro)
- Shuaibah SWRO Expansion-II IWP seawater desalination plant Project in Saudi Arabia
- Coal-fired Power Plant in Cebu, Philippines
- Meiya Yulchon Combined Cycle and Fuel Cell Power Project in Japan
- Project to develop International Business District in New Songdo City, Incheon
- Project to develop International Business District in Yongsan, Seoul
- Masan Port Area Development Project
- Kumho Asiana Plaza Project in Vietnam
- KEPCO’s Ilijan Combined Cycle Power Project in the Philippines
- Solar Power Project in Bulgaria
- Sewage Treatment Facilities Project in Anseong
- Jemulpo Tunnel Project
- Yongma Tunnel Project
- Cheonmasan Tunnel Project
- Sondgo-Mansu Sewage Treatment Facilities Project in Incheon
- Geomdan Sewage Treatment Facility Project in Incheon
- Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology Project and numerous BTL projects
- Advised on the IPO of Infrastructure Fund (MKIF), the first IPO of an infrastructure fund in Korea.
- Advised on the establishment KDB International Logistics Investment Private Special Asset Investment Company, the first Korean fund investing in overseas port/logistics infrastructure.
- Advised on the establishment of Korea Railroad Fund.
- Advised on the establishment of Korea Edu-Fund.
- Advised on the establishment of KDB Electric Power Private Special Asset Investment Company.
94 Professionals Ranked as Leading Lawyers – Who’s Who Legal: Korea 20192019.07.31
Top Ranked in All Eight Categories and 34 Individual Recognitions - Chambers Global 20192019.02.15
Chambers Global Practice Guide - Project Finance 2019: Korea Chapter2019.02.08
Top Rankings in 18 Areas and 60 Individual Recognitions - Chambers Asia-Pacific 20192018.11.30
Top Tier Across the Board for 15 Consecutive Years - IFLR1000 20192018.11.02
Kim & Chang Takes Home Three Distinguished Awards - The Asia Legal Awards 20182018.03.22